Do’s and Don’ts
A septic system is an important part of your home’s health. A functioning and well cared for septic system is very important to you, your family and your home. Below you will find a quick helpful guide on the do’s and don’ts for a septic system.
- Be familiar with your system
- Keep maintenance & repair records
- Conserve water
- Use single ply toilet tissue
- Use liquid laundry & dishwasher detergents
- Pump your system on a regular basis (1-2 years)
- Do not plant or build anything over any part of your system
- Do not put grease, oil, paint thinner, gas, pesticides, chlorine or any toxic substances down your drains
- Do not flush disposable cleaning cloths or feminine hygiene products
- Garbage disposals are not recommended.
- Do not wash several loads of laundry in one day. This will agitate the contents of your septic tank allowing solids to go out to the leaching area.